Frequently asked questions

When and where does the neighborhood association meet and who can attend?

We hope all neighbors will join us for our monthly meetings on the second Tuesday of the month at 7 pm (except July and December) at the Riley Education Center behind the James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home at 528 Lockerbie Street. You do not have to be a member of the Lockerbie Square Neighborhood Association to attend.

What is the Lockerbie Square Neighborhood Association (LSNA) and why should I become a member?

LSNA is the name of Lockerbie’s neighborhood association (previously known as the Lockerbie Square People's Club). LSNA membership gives you access to neighborhood events, as well as the opportunity to shape the way our neighborhood grows and evolves through voting at meetings. In addition to neighborhood events, your dues cover snow removal, sidewalk repair, signage, and miscellaneous beautification projects. For more information please click here.

I would like to make changes to my home, who do I need to notify?

Lockerbie is a historic neighborhood and we all work together to make sure it maintains its unique character. Please contact the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Committee (IHPC) any time you undertake the following projects:

  • Paint the exterior of your home

  • Repair or make cosmetic changes to the exterior of your home

  • When you make any structural changes, including repair or replacement of windows and doors

  • Add or remove a fence

We have linked their website below. They will guide you through the steps and help you obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA).

Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission:

When is trash pick up?

Find your trash day pick up here: Home pick-up of recycling is available through Republic Services ( There is an Indy Recycling Drop-Off dumpster in the parking lot at the corner of New York St. and Alabama St next to the Old Indianapolis City Hall. If you are interested in composting there are local organizations including Green With Indy ( and Earth Mama ( that will pick up your compost from your doorstep.

Where do I vote?

For up-to-date voting information and to check your voter registration please go to:

What are these “Residents Only Parking” signs I see posted on some streets?

Many of our streets allow parking only for Lockerbie residents and their guests. If your address faces one of those streets, you can obtain a free permit at the Department of Business and Neighborhood Services. The application and requirements can be found here:

Who owns the strip of land between the sidewalk and the street?

That strip of land, known widely as the planting strip, is part of the public right of way. While homeowners are expected to mow and maintain the planting strips, any changes to landscaping, trees, and grass removal must be permitted. Please visit this website for more details and to apply for a permit:

When do streets and alleys get ploughed?

Generally speaking, we engage our snow removal vendor when there has been 3 or more inches of snow. However, to conserve neighborhood funds, we will not plough the streets when there is a high likelihood of more snow or melting snow within the next 24 hours.

Who is responsible for shoveling the sidewalks in front of my house?

Under city law, you are responsible for shoveling your sidewalks and ensuring they are safe for pedestrians. Failure to do so in a timely fashion could result in a $50 fine. We’ve attached the website which provides more guidelines here:

What should I do if I see suspicious activity or someone lurking in the neighborhood?

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) requests that we call 911 in these instances. If something doesn’t feel right, trust your instincts and involve IMPD especially if the suspicious parties are still in the area.

What should I do if someone is violating the Permit Parking rules or if I need to report something suspicious that is not currently in progress?

Call the IMPD non-emergency number: (317) 327-3811.

Who do I call for street repairs/potholes?

The easiest way to report potholes and a whole host of other nuisance items is to download the RequestIndy app or online at You’ll be able to submit and track requests with ease. You may also also call the Mayor's Action Center at 317-327-4622.

The street light in front of my house is out.  How do I get it repaired?

You can use the RequestIndy app or online at You can also write down the light number (there are stickers on the lampposts) and call IPL.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Have Another Question?



PO Box 44410
Indianapolis, IN 46244-0410